The new owner of land that used to be owned and mined by the Carey Salt Company is in talks to buy out 32 homes in the area because of subsidence and sinkholes. They have offered homeowners the appraised value of the homes plus $10,000 and closing costs. Carey Salt Company mined the area from 1903-1998, before modern regulations. (Image and story by KWCH)
The New York MTA is in the midst of a “golden era” of tunneling for the New York subway. Three separate mega-projects are currently underway totaling some $15 Billion: The Second Avenue Subway, The East Side Access Project (which features the new Grand Central Terminal), and The Number 7 Subway Line Extension Project. The short video below was published by the NY Post and included in an AP Article. It is tantalizingly short, but gives a great perspective on what the underground construction project at Grand Central looks like and a sense of the scale…the amazing huge caverns being constructed. The article says that from underneath Grand Central Terminal alone, the construction crews have removed enough material to cover Central Park almost a foot deep!
Click through for the video.
A 12m long sinkhole opened up on Oxford Road in northern Johannesburg South Africa after a partial tunnel collapse in the Gautrain rail tunnel being constructed underneath the road. Eyewitness accounts say there was a broken water pipe flooding the sinkhole, but no word on which occurred first. The road is expected to be closed for 2 weeks. Gautrain representatives said the tunneling would resume after geotechnical/geological investigations into the collapse are completed, which could take "several weeks". (Photo credit: Werner Beukes, Sapa via News24.com)
Time to clear the queue a bit. Enjoy these gems!
- Pile Dynamics Releases Complimentary Update of GRLWEAP Program – Pile Buck Magazine – pile driving, marine construction, deep foundation
- North Salt Lake Passes Landslide Ordinance – Source: The Salt Lake Tribune via AEG Insider
- Rotting Oaks Lead to Hazardous Voids in Indiana’s Mount Baldy Sand Dune – Source: Terradaily.com via AEG Insider
- Soldier pile excavations in Seattle designed with DeepEX – Source: DeepExcav
- Santa Clarita Landslide Buckles Road, Prompts Indefinite Closure – Source: CBS Los Angeles
- The part of the SR 99 tunnel built without Bertha – Source: WSDOT Alaskan Way Viaduct Project Page
- China landslide: Man-made, 330-foot mountain of waste collapsed amid rains – Source: Chicago Tribune
- City of Burien releases full geotechnical report on Dec. 8 landslide – Source: The Highline Times / Des Moines News
- More sinkholes expected at Seawatch, District to debate next steps
- ‘Ask Fugro’ campaign celebrates Fugro’s global ingenuity