- Instability from Soil Liquefaction Remains a Danger, Says Engineer – Source: ENR
- Engineers Surprised by Damage To Modern Buildings in Christchurch – Source: ENR
- New Zealand earthquake: Engineers reveal a THIRD of Christchurch’s buildings have to be demolished – Source: Mail Online
To underscore the liquefaction problems encountered in the Christchurch earthquake, I found this photo sadly fascinating. It appears to be someone shoveling sand and silt that boiled up from the subsurface during the earthquake.
- Repairs Beginning Feb. 28 to Hotel Grand Chancellor, Deemed Stable – Source: ENR
The 26-story Hotel Grand Chancellor in Christchurch has tilted precariously after the earthquake. They are just trying to stabilize it enough to allow searching of the adjacent buildings. Once the building is stabilized, its owners will determine if it can be repaired permanently.
- Cost of Christchurch Earthquake Repairs $15B (US) – Source: WSJ.com via ASCE SmartBrief
- Fresh imagery from Christchurch – Source: Google Earth Blog
New GeoEye imagery captured 2 days after the earthquake. Available for viewing in Google Earth.
- Canterbury Quake Live – Source: Delicious
- Reinsurer likely to treat New Zealand quakes separately – Source: The Australian via Ontario-geofish
- New Zealand earthquake: buildings failed when ground turned to liquid – Source: The Guardian via Ontario-geofish
- Christchurch Quake Map
- Video of Rockfall Triggered by New Zealand Earthquake – Source: YouTube via USGS Landslide Events
- Update: Christchurch Earthquake Death Toll Reaches 98 – Source: Natural Hazard Media Monitoring
- New Zealand Chistchurch Earthquake Resources – Christchurch badly damaged by magnitude 6.3 earthquake – Source: GeoNet
- New Zealand earthquake damage illustrates risks posed by shallow crustal faults – Source: Science Daily
- No more high rises for rebuilt quake city – Source: NZ Herald News via ASCE SmartBrief
- Christchurch Earthquake Google Maps – Source: Google Maps Mania