The goal of this blog is to be a useful resourse for geotechnical engineers and engineering geologists in their practice. I hope that through the commenting system, readers of GeoPrac.net can build off of the posts and start a useful dialogue to create a complex, nuanced, civil discussion on topics of interest to our industries.
How to Comment
Anyone can comment on a GeoNews Post or Article, simply use the comment form found at the bottom of the content. It should be fairly straight forward. Your email address will not be displayed! Non-registered users will have to punch in characters from a security images prior to submitting. When you submit the comment, if you are a registered GeoPrac.net user (and also logged in!), your comment will appear right away. If you are a guest or forgot to login, your comment will need to be approved prior to being shown. Please be patient for approval, and don't submit your comment multiple times.
Rules for Comments
- Do not post obscene, indecent, hateful, offensive, defamatory, abusive, harassing or profane material.
- Do not post junk mail, pyramid schemes, chain letters or advertisements.
- Do not engage in personal attacks.
- No flaming (messages which are hostile or deliberately insulting)
- No trolling (making comments intended to induce an angry response or disrupt the flow of discussion)
- Vulgar and insulting nicknames will be removed. Nicknames attempting to impersonate other users will be removed.
- Do not post anyone's telephone number, street address. or any other personal information.
- Do not post an e-mail address belonging to another person.
- Do not post information that encourages criminal activity of any kind, or any statements that may give rise to civil liability.
- If you post a link to another site, please provide a brief explanation of where the link goes as a courtesy to other users.
- Do not post copyrighted material, including newsletter items, newspaper articles, excerpts from books, music, poems, photographs, video files or any other material, unless you own the copyright to that material, or have written permission to post it.
- Do not attempt to impersonate other users, site staff or any other person.
- Do not post the same message in multiple locations on the site.
- Lively debate and opposing opinions are welcome, but please behave courteously and responsibly.
- Submissions regarding the administration or moderation of comments are not permitted and will be removed. If you have a issue or question regarding our administrative policies or actions, contact the Editors.
- Keep your messages on topic for the particular discussion you are involved in.
- Do not use multiple account nicknames in one discussion. Do not answer your own posts using another nickname.
This site is not responsible for any content you submit. We reserve the right, but undertake no duty, to review, edit, move, or delete any content submitted by users, in our sole discretion, without notice, including but not limited to incidences where the rules outlined above are voilated. Violating these rules will result in your comment being un-published or deleted and infractions that are severe enough will result in termination of GeoPrac.net account and/or banning your username and/or IP address from posting comments.
Due to time constraints because of all the other work we need to do, we’re unable to reply to questions about why a comment might have been moderated, or why someone was blocked for posting multiple inappropriate comments.
Why are comments closed on some posts?
This blog has posts in a variety of categories, and we open many up for commentary because we welcome feedback. However, some posts are simply for informational purposes, while on others, we welcome feedback through another means of contact specified in the post. To focus appropriately when feedback isn’t needed, comments will be closed on a post.
Where's My Avatar Image?
Currently we are using the Gravatar service for your avatar image. If you want to see your photo or other image next to your comment, you need to sign up for a Gravatar using the same email address that you enter in the comment form. Many other blogs use this "Global Avatar" for their commenting system or forums as well.