Important Info

Featured Sponsor

Become an Author

GeoPrac.net is a community site, we are only as good as the content our members contribute! Whether it's a one time contribution, or a monthly or quarterly article, please consider becoming an author!

Latest Comments in...

San Francisco Millennium Tower Has Settled 16 Inches
Misrepresents actual foundation geometry. Photos show deep excavation to ne
New FHWA Soil Nail Manual Addresses LRFD, Hollow Bars
Good evening from Barcelona, Spain. I am witting to you because of I am le
Engineering Geologists vs Geological Engineers vs Geotechnic
Geological engineer from Spain (looking for job smiley geoengineer.martin@gmail
A Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On: Center for Geotechnical Mode
Randy, While the UC Davis lab is impressive I believe the USACE Centrifuge
Content
Server Problems PDF Print E-mail
Written by Randy Post   
Saturday, 08 September 2007 17:49

Last thursday-friday was not a very good one for me. Sometime between 10 and 11:30am on thursday, the server hosting GeoPrac and a number of my other websites and those of my clients went down. I was on my way up to Phoenix for meetings, so I didn't know about it until I got a call from my office that the email was down at about 4pm.

I got online and couldn't bring up the website of my hosting company. I did a blog/bulletin board search to try and find out what was going on since I figured there were a bunch of other people effected by this as well. The first page I found just had posts from other people like me, trying to figure out what was going on. But there was a link to another thread, and I knew i was in trouble when I saw that it was page 1 of 24! [more...]

It turns out that my hosting company pretty much went out of business without any advanced warning to their clients. Everything on that server was gone, and there was no way to recover it. So I knew what I had to do. I signed up for a new hosting account with another provider and started to update configurations for my sites and those of my clients. This was about 10pm on thursday. By about 2:30 am I was mostly done with the updated configurations. On Friday morning, I had the tech support restore the backup files I had fortunately made on August 30. The restore procedures went pretty smoothly, but I did loose a couple of posts that I had made in the week between backing up and crashing.

At any rate, between server problems and my sick 2-year old daughter this weekend, I'm behind on my posting. I'll have to try and re-draft a post I had written looking back on the 6 months of GeoPrac.net's existence, and looking ahead at some additional ideas and hopes I have for the site.

The good news is that the site seems to be loading faster with the new host, so far I'm very pleased. I think I'll do a better job of backing up though!

Hits: 5083
Trackback(0)
Comments (0)add comment

Write comment

security image
Write the displayed characters


busy
Last Updated on Sunday, 09 September 2007 17:49