- Energy Department probing Hanford waste burial – SeattlePI.com
- Sinkholes close highway in Lake Wales | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com 10 Connects
- Drilling finished at Nile Valley landslide – KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA
- Chevron Australia lets $20M AUS geotechnical contract for Wheatstone LNG Facility to Golder – Oil & Gas Journal
- WSDOT pre-qualifies four teams for the SR 99 Alaskan Way Viaduct bored tunnel project – West Seattle Herald / White Center News
I guess this is about a month old, but this is the first I have heard of it.
- Secaucus firm gets $271.7M contract for Hudson River Rail Tunnel | New Jersey Business – – NJ.com
- Structural Engineers Begin On-Site Damage Assessments in Haiti | ENR: Engineering News Record | McGraw-Hill Construction – via ASCE SmartBrief
- Google Earth, Bing and other Mapping Resources for Haiti – Google Earth Blog
- Garmin launches sevice for aerial photo backgrounds on handheld GPS units – Garmin Blog
- State Route 264 cleanup, repair continues – Navajo-Hopi Observer
This link has some nice pictures of a small to moderate sized rockfall event in Northern Arizona. It was large enought to shut down the highway. Thanks to my colleagues Gregg and Pancho for pointing this out.
- Mudslide blocks Seattle commuter train tracks | KOMO News – Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather – Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional
- Sinkhole reroutes Olympic torch relay in Calgary
- Discussion of British Standards Institute Withdrawing Support for British Standards for Geotechnical Design and Switching to Eurocode 7 for – Ground Engineering Magazine
- German nuclear waste to be removed – Ontario-geofish
- Nary a Seismometer in Haiti – Ontario-geofish
- Hydraulic Fracturing, a Natural-Gas Drilling Technique, Raises Water-Pollution Concerns – WSJ.com – via ASCE SmartBrief
This issue has significant ramifications in the use of Natural Gas as an energy resource in the US. This is a pretty well-written article by the Wall Street Journal.
- Small Businesses Want Bigger Slice of New Orleans Work Pie | ENR: Engineering News Record | McGraw-Hill Construction
- Geosynthetics photo contest – Geosynthetics Magazine
- Gap in foundation technology threatens wind farm progress – Ground Engineering (GE) Magazine | Geotechnical news
- 20 Years of Expansion in Chandler, AZ | Geology.com
- Work on $0.75M Landslide stabilization retaining wall project in Pittsburgh on hold – post-gazette.com
- ASCE Disaster Assistance Volunteer Program | Critical Infrastructure
- Cutoff Interface Seepage Analysis Example using SEEP/W – GEO-SLOPE
An example problem highlighted in their January Newsletter.
- New, remarkable animation video of the Po Shan Road landslide in Hong Kong – Dave’s Landslide Blog
- Another lakefront levee is found packed with debris | Hurricane News and Storm Tracking – – NOLA.com – via ASCE SmartBrief
So much debris has been found in a second stretch of the Lake Pontchartrain levee in East Jefferson that the Army Corps of Engineers plans to replace the top 2Â½ feet of dirt on a section more than one mile long because it violates corps standards.
- UT Engineer to Lead Team Mapping Haiti Destruction – The University of Texas at Austin
‘To develop safer, future engineering design procedures, the seven-person team will spend an intensive week documenting the effects of the Magnitude 7.0 earthquake. Their efforts are sponsored by the Geo-engineering Extreme Events Reconnaissance (GEER) Association which is supported by the National Science Foundation.’
- Tunnel repairs to begin on disaster struck hydro scheme in Scotland near Loch Ness – New Civil Engineer