- Geo-Florida Presentation by Steve Dapp, Tip-Grouted Drilled Shaft Foundations for the Audubon Bridge – Dan Brown and Associates, PLLC
- News 8 Austin – At least one injured in drilled shaft rig accident
- Direction drilling method comes under scrutiny in Minnesota after two recent gas explosions – Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ
- Drilling rig traps worker near I-35 and 51st | KXAN.com
- USDOT Furloughs to Shut Down Critical Construction Projects – USDOT Press release
Secretary LaHood Denounces Political Games During Tough Economic Times
- Corps of Engineers budget cuts face opposition in Louisiana House panel – NOLA.com
- Using EPS geofoam blocks to speed up construction and reduce settlements on UDOT’s Salt Lake City’s I-215 bridge at 3300 South – Better Roads via Insulfoam’s Facebook Page
- Maine DOT begins working on Rockland sinkhole – WCSH6.com
An old limestone rock quarry sits adjacent to the highway, and at one time there was a tunnel constructed or possibly a cave that went about 65-ft below the road surface. It sounds as if the quarry and the tunnel predate the roadway. But the roof of the tunnel collapsed creating a sinkhole in the road about 65-ft deep. The Maine DOT brought in ground penetrating radar to try to determine the extent of the tunnel and begin formulating a plan for filling the hole and restoring service to the roadway.
- Chile, Haiti Quakes Explained – NPR via Twitter @geosociety
- Atlas Copco launches Elemex – a piling solution for sensitive areas
- Dam Safety News (2/24/2010)
- Europe Storm Death Toll Hits 51 – WSJ.com via ASCE SmartBrief
Storm Exposes Risks of Napoleonic Dams
- $100 million in work planned to bolster three New Orleans canals – NOLA.com
- Up to 350 feared dead in Uganda landslide – guardian.co.uk
- Most in Pacific Northwest not prepared for natural disasters – KPIC CBS 4
- Pennsylvania Subsidence Insurance Increase – Geology.com
- In search of an earthquake-proof building – CNN.com via Geology.com
- The Jet Grouting Task Force of the Geo-Institute Grouting Technical Committee has completed a Jet Grouting Guideline – Twitter @GeoInstitute
- Make your own map-based mashup, Create a KML service from ESRI shapefile data – IBM.com via Slashgeo
- Preliminary 2009 Results for KELLER GROUP PLC – TradingMarkets.com
Keller Group is the parent company of a ton of geotechnical companies around the world. In the US, these include Hayward Baker, Case Foundations, Anderson Drilling and McKinney Drilling.
- Highway, Transit Shutdown Ends with Enactment of One-Month Extension – AASHTO Journal – March 3, 2010
- £30M Hinkley nuclear earthworks contract – Ground Engineering (GE) Magazine
- Solving a murder with Google Earth – Google Earth Blog
This is an interesting application of remote sensing and aerial photography.
- Crossrail tenders advance works for five tunnelled stations – New Civil Engineer
This is going to be some serious work to construct all these tunnels and stations through London. I was reading descriptions of this advanced work at the various stations, and it includes bored piles, secant piles walls, diaphragm walls, piling, temporary shoring, access shaft construction, utility relocation…all to prepare for the arrival of the TBM!
- In the belly of the mountain at Devils Slide – San Jose Mercury News
A reporter’s trip into the Devil’s Slide bypass tunnel currently under construction.
- Solar photovoltaic geomembrane strips on mine tailings – Arizona Geology
- Shifting Soil Is Threat to a Houseâ€™s Foundation – NYTimes.com
An article in the NYT discussing problems with house foundations, especially in areas of clayey soils experiencing drought. The article makes an interesting statement, I don’t know if it’s true: ‘Data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association indicates that since the 1990s there has been an accelerating trend nationwide toward more extended dry periods followed by downpours. Whether due to random climate patterns or global warming, the swings between hot and dry weather and severe rain or snow have profoundly affected soil underneath buildings.’
- Rain, terrain slow recovery efforts after Uganda landslide – CNN.com
- Chilean quake and tsunami are reminders of Washington State’s hazards – Ear to the Ground (Washington State DNR’s Blog)
- Northwest at risk of megaquake like one in Chile – Seattle Times Newspaper
- Future geotechnical engineers get competitive – ASU News
Describes the Arizona State University team of four Civil Engineering students that competed in the 2010 Geo-Challenge where teams competed to build scale versions of MSE retaining walls.
- Drilling Has Begun for the SFMTA Central Subway Project – Treadwell & Rollo