- Two new DFI Publications – Source: DFI.org
The first is Augered Cast-In-Place Piles Inspector’s Guide, Second Edition, 2010 which now includes information on Automated Monitoring Equipment (AME) and Non-Destructive Testing (NDT). Also recently available is Soil Nailing Guide Specification, First Edition, 2010 which contains code provisions for Soil Nailing in the various Building Codes nationwide. Both are available for $15/ea for DFI Members, and $25/ea for non members.
- Dr. Carlos A. Lazarte, PE, GE joins Schnabel’s Gaithersburg, Maryland, office – Source: Schnabel Engineering via National Driller
- Falling rock in Estes Park kills Michigan girl – Source: The Denver Post via USGS Landslide Events
- Construction employment declines in 25 states between april and may as stimulus outweighed by weak private, state & local demand – Source: The Associated General Contractors of America via AGC SmartBrief
- No Plans to Stabilize Landslide Site in Winslow, Maine – Source: WABI TV5
- New Geologic hazards Facebook Page – Source: Facebook
- Goodbye, city dump; hello, rural landfill – Source: Sacramento Bee via Geosyntetica.net News
- Drilling a Highway 99 tunnel thrills industry pros – Source: Seattle Times Newspaper via ASCE SmartBrief
- GEI Selected to Provide Geotechnical Engineering Services to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Source: GEI Consultants
- Using Electric Resistance Tomography or ERT to Monitor Carbon Dioxide – Source: National Driller
A geophysics technique originally applied to monitor the flow of contaminants into shallow ground water supplies has been repurposed to monitor carbon dioxide pumped deep underground for storage.