- New rockslide comes down on Interstate 40 – Nashville – Fwix.com via USGS Landslide Events
- Germany: Boulder Crushes Home, Two Die (VIDEO) – Huffington Post via USGS Landslides
- DBA on successful St. Louis Bridge team – Dan Brown and Associates, LLC
- Characterization of Loess for Deep Foundations – Dan Brown and Associates, LLC
- GeoPad – Selecting a Field-Capable GIS/GPS Workstation – Slashgeo
- Autodesk Ongoing Support to Geospatial Open Source – Slashgeo
- Fatal rockfall near to Munich in Germany – Dave’s Landslide Blog
- Engineers watch Texas homes for more moving soil – Star-Telegram via ASCE SmartBrief
Interesting that the representatives from Centex (formerly Pulte) acknowledge they didn’t have a permit for the wall but insist the followed industry standard construction practices. The City said it will be looking for permits for all Pulte retaining walls built in the City.
- Retaining Wall Failure – San Antonio TX – RetainingWallExpert.com
They have collected some nice photos, including a number of nice aerial angles I haven’t seen before.
- Allegations continue from city, Pulte as officials sort out slope failure – kens5.com
- Five Teams Prequalify To Bid Last Hudson River Tunnel Job – ENR: Engineering News Record
- Construction Fell 26% in 2009 – ENR: Engineering News Record
- New low altitude aerial photographs along the San Andreas Fault – Arrowsmith blog
- New Jersey Panel Warns of Delay for Hudson Train Tunnel – NYTimes.com – ASCE Smart Brief
- Roller-Compacted Concrete Delivers Rapid, Efficient Dam Rebuild – ENR: Engineering News Record
Stronger structure needed after catastrophic failure of reservoirâ€™s earth-and-rockfill dam.
- States awarded nearly $8B in high-speed rail funding – AASHTO – High Speed Rail
The White House has announced that 21 states and the Northeast Corridor will receive high-speed and passenger rail grants under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Nine states will receive grants for rail planning studies.
- Rogersville Tennessee woman escapes injury when boulder crashes into apartment, misses bed – Kingsport Times-News Online
- December-January 2010 Issue of Foundation Drilling Magazine by the ADSC – ADSC Website
- Debris flows not as serious as projected due to less rainfall – USGS Release
- Permeation Grouting and Micropiling to Stabilze Section of 134-km Victorian Era Aqueduct that Supplies Water to Manchester, UK – New Civil Engineer
- Louisiana coastal restoration and levees would share $600 million from state in fiscal year 2011 under proposal – NOLA.com via ASCE SmartBrief
- Sinkhole snarls traffic on U.S. 19 in Florida
- Federal panel to examine nuclear waste storage – ReviewJournal.com (Las Vegas) via Ontario-geofish
Like Harold pointed out on his post, the blue ribbon commission seems completely full of politicians and relatively few scientists. I think Harold is right, appears like a long shot that the US will go for a deep geologic repository type system.
- Utah canal safety bill pitched: Rep. Hunsaker defends hazard secrecy provision – The Herald Journal
- Latest Dam Safety news updated 1/29/10 – ASDSO