- Howard Hanson Dam (Tacoma, Washington area): Peering into a leaky problem – The News Tribune
In 2009, the Howard Hanson Dam was holding back water from a record storm. During that time, the US Army Corps was alarmed to see seepage at 8 times the normal volume, and worse, the seepage was carrying sediment, always a bad sign with dams. So after the storm, they immediately lowered the dam level and installed some vertical and horizontal drains. Later they also installed a grout curtain some 400+ feet deep. They are contemplating extending the grout curtain this year.
- Big dig at sinkhole: Workers on I-65 in Alabama hit rock shelf that could be source of problem, will work around clock – Water World
- State, neighbors concerned about landfill stability – Newburyport, MA – The Newburyport Current
- Highway 64 opening delayed until April 16 – Cleveland (Tennessee) Banner
This is the infamous landslide that was caught on video. Also, see this follow up post.
- Mud flow reclaims East Animas Road (with video) – Durango Herald News via USGS Landslides
- ArcGIS.com: ArcGIS Itself Going Online – Slashgeo
Is ArcGIS ascending to the cloud?
- Tennessee US 64 Rock slide cleanup to take longer – Chattanooga Times Free Press
Great photos and videos of the stabilization work.
- Google Releases Elevation Web Service – Slashgeo
You can send Google a lat/long coordinate and it will give you the surface elevation. Or you can send it a path, and it will return the elevation profile. This ElevationService is a part of Google Maps API v3.
- ESRI Business Partner Conference Wrap Up – Slashgeo
- Earth fissures indicate big problem – Iron County Today (Utah), via Lee Allison – Arizona State Geologist
- How Your Professional Liability Premium Is Determined
- The US Nuclear Waste Dilema | Geology.com
- GEOLIFI: Geoengineering Literature Finder – Geoengineer.org
The Geoengineer.org site has launched a new feature of their website: ‘GeoLiFi is a searchable online database of geoengineering papers. GEOLIFI collects and promotes journal, conference, symposia and magazine papers in the geoengineering field. GEOLIFI aims to become a comprehensive online geoengineering library that provides immediate access to publication in the field of geoengineering.’
- Newport Oregon plan on geologic hazard zones outrages property owners – OregonLive.com
- Feds will reimburse Yakima County $1M for Nile Valley landslide expenses – KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA