What was initially reported in the media as a sinkhole in the area of St. Jude, Quebec, northeast of Montreal, appears to be a landslide caused by so called quick clay. This particular formation, the Leda Clay, is well known for these types of failures. Tragically, a family of 4 was killed while watching TV in their basement when the slide occurred. A collection of media and blog coverage on the event is presented below.
St. Jude, Quebec Quick Clay Landslide Links
- Report: At least 2 in family die after sinkhole swallows home in Quebec, Canada – CNN.com Blogs via Geology.com
- Possible flowslide (not a sinkhole) in St Jude, Canada – Dave’s Landslide Blog
- Leda Clay Landslide – Ontario-geofish
- Quebec Landslide – 2 – Ontario-geofish
- Devastating slide in Quebec "was like the end of the world" – The Globe and Mail
- Quebec No Stranger to the Fury of Landslides – Montreal Gazette