So I’m a little behind on my catch-up-posts LOL! I have a new tool to help me manage all of the info I come accross, so hopefully after I dig out, you’ll start seeing some more frequent posts in this category. Look for another post soon to get me into 2010!
- Garmin® Makes Custom Maps Free and Easy, Merging Paper and Digital Maps with GPS Handhelds – Garmin Press Release
- Corps Failed to Protect New Orleans From Katrina Flooding, Court Rules | ENR: Engineering News Record | McGraw-Hill Construction
- Collapsed Workington (UK) bridge inspected in 2008 – New Civil Engineer
- Top Ten US Natural Disasters – Geology.com
- Engineers’ caution in Dallas tied to liability threat after Katrina – ASCE Smart Brief
- Can you stop bridges collapsing in floods? – BBC News via ASCE SmartBrief
- EPA Targets Construction-Site Pollution – Wall Street Journal via ASCE SmartBrief
- The ten greatest landslide papers? – Dave’s Landslide Blog
- W. Allen Marr, Ph.D, P.E., Named to National Academy of Engineering – GeoComp Press Release via Geoengineer.org
- kcICON Bridge article in Roads and Bridges | Dan Brown and Associates, LLC
- Video: Collapse raises concerns about Trinity levee integrity – ASCE Smart Brief
- Cleveland seeks $219 million to fix sliding Cuyahoga River bank | Science and Environment News – cleveland.com – ASCE Smart Brief
- Landslides along the Panama Canal – Dave’s Landslide Blog
- New Solution for Broken Levees: PLUGS – Geology.com
The Portable Lightweight Ubiquitous Gasket (PLUG) is a flexible tube that is dropped into a flood and partially filled with water.
- U.S. Geological Survey: Social Media at the USGS – Slashgeo
Launched last month.
- BBC News – Samoa tsunami ‘twice height of buildings’ – Ontario Geofish
- The Moretrench Family Mourns the Loss of Chairman John Donohoe – Moretrench.com
- Belfast road hole due to sewer tunnelling – New Civil Engineer
- New Jersey Agency Approves Major Tunneling Contract – ENR
- Two TBM’s stuck 320-ft deep inside big dig for stalled Brightwater sewage plant (Seattle area) – Ontario Geofish
- Nile Landslide LiDAR Â« Sliding Thought Blog
- South Padre Island Tower’s implosion thrills – MySA.com
This is the tower that settled 14-in and had to be destroyed. It set a record for the tallest reinforced concrete building to be imploded.
- Seattle Girds for Tunnel Fight – Mayor Questions $4.2 Billion Project, State Backs It, in Differing Visions of City’s Future – WSJ.com via ASCE SmartBrief
- City of Burnaby (Canada) will use GPR and Sonar to locate endangered Turtle nests before dredging – Canada.com
- Keller to merge geotechnical operations | Online news | New Civil Engineer
- DMCii 22m Multi-Spectral Imagery Goes on Sale – Slashgeo