Over the past week there has been devastating flooding and landslides in the Gansu Province of China, particularly in Zhouqu county. According to BBC, the latest death toll numbers are at 1,239. Here are some recent links I’ve collected. (Photo: Daily Mail)
- China: Rain and mud kill at least 127 in China – Source: latimes.com via ASCE SmartBrief
- Utah’s Iron County postpones vote on geologic ordinance – Source: The Salt Lake Tribune
- Slideshow: Floods Cause Deadly Landslide in China – Source: ABC News
- Death toll from NW China mudslide rises to 702; 1,042 still missing – Source: Xinhua via Dave’s Landslide Blog
- First video of the Gansu landslides – Source: Dave’s Landslide Blog
- China landslide: Worst landslip for 60 years kills 702 | Mail Online
A small collection of photos showing the horrible devastation of this landslide. Also shows Chinese engineers blasting a small landslide dam.
- China landslide toll passes 1,000 – Source: BBC News
- Harrowing tales of loss and despair from China landslide – Source: CNN.com
- Unstable lake threatens areas hit by landslide in northwest China – Source: Washington Post
- Gansu landslide: Another manmade disaster? – Source: Shanghaiist
- Zhouqu Landslide – Source: Chinadaily.com
This is the best link I’ve found for an overview of the tragedy, facts and figures, photos and news.
- Fresh rains threaten China landslide rescue effort – Source: BBC News via USGS Landslide Events
Officials said the number of people known to have died in Zhouqu, when mud and rocks engulfed buildings, now stood at 1,117, with 627 others missing.
- More Landslides as China Mourns Victims of Gansu Disaster – Source: Voice of America News
- Update on China and Pakistan – 13th August 2010 – Source: Dave’s Landslide Blog