Here is a video about a nifty software product I came across at the trade show, xGEL LabMate. I enjoyed the chance to chat with Art Koenig, the president of GeoSmart Software about this software, and about all kinds of other things from daughters to careers, ASFE, running a business and much more.
Golder Associates posted the video below describing some of their work on the York University Subway Tunneling Test Monitoring Project, part of the larger Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension Project in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The tunnels […]
Leading Geotechnical Software Developers to Integrate Solutions
Windsor, CA – September 29, 2008 – gINT Software, Inc.
gINT Software, Inc., developer of gINT data management and reporting software for geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering professionals, has signed a mutual distributorship agreement with Fine s.r.o. of Prague, Czech Republic, maker of the GEO5 geotechnical analysis software programs. gINT Software will represent GEO5 on an exclusive basis in the USA, Canada and Mexico. In addition, Fine has been granted exclusive rights to represent gINT in the Czech Republic and surrounding Eastern European countries, including Hungary, Poland, Romania and Slovakia.
[Editor] All screen shots courtesy of gINT Software, Inc. Click through for the rest of the press release. [/Editor]
The USGS has a documentary on landslide video on landslide danger in the San Francisco Bay area entitled “Riding the Storm”. I think the target audience is more general than geologist or engineer, but it is still interesting. The bullet points from the USGS site:
- A catastrophic 1982 rainstorm triggered 18,000 landslides in the Bay Area, claiming 25 lives and causing $66 million in property damage
- The combination of steep slopes, weak rocks, and intense winter storms make Bay Area uplands an ideal setting for landslides
- Landslides include both swift, potentially deadly debris flows and slower, but destructive deepseated slides
- Learn what USGS scientists have discovered about landslide dynamics and which slopes are most susceptible to sliding
- Hear the devastating stories of Bay Area residents affected by landslides and learn to recognize the danger signs
Click through to view the trailer and for links to download the full video. (Image credit: USGS)