I gave a presentation recently on a monthly webinar for URETEK Holdings, one of the licensed affiliates (installers) of products by GeoPrac sponsor, URETEK ICR. The topic was Geotechnial Aspects of Polyurethane Grouting. I gave […]
GeoPrac sponsor Moretrench is a specialty geotechnical contractor known for their expertise with a variety of geotechnical construction methods. But they are probably best known for their niche work with ground freezing technology. Popular Mechanics […]
The 2015 Karl Terzaghi award was presented by Donald A. Bruce, Ph.D., D.GE, C.Eng., L.G., L.E.G., President, Geosystems, L.P. at the Geo-Institute’s 2015 Geo-Congress Conference. The Geo-Institute has generously made his lecture available to all […]
Here are the top 50 GeoPrac content items of the year based on your clicks. They are sorted by hits/day to not bias the items published towards the beginning of the year. Thanks to all of my visitors for spending some of your valuable time getting your news from GeoPrac. I know everyone is busy, so I appreciate it very much!
- Kleinfelder CEO Resigns, Interim CEO Kevin Pottmeyer Takes Reigns as Company Looks to Accelerate 2020 Strategic Direction Initiatives – Published Nov 23, 2015 (52.3 hits/day, 1,401 page impressions total)
- Free Webinar–Geotechnical Aspects of Polyurethane Grout – Published Dec 8, 2015 (43.5 hits/day, 498 page impressions total)
- LogitEasy Offers Free iPad Promotion for Borehole Logging – Published Dec 7, 2015 (38.4 hits/day, 490 page impressions total)
- A Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On: Center for Geotechnical Modeling Facilitates Seismic Research – Published Aug 18, 2015 (31.6 hits/day, 3,917 page impressions total)
- How Could a Pile of Dirt Cause a Major Interstate Bridge To Tilt? – Published Oct 20, 2015 (29.2 hits/day, 1,777 page impressions total)
- Nicholson Completes Emergency Work on Indiana’s I-65 – Published Nov 23, 2015 (26.1 hits/day, 701 page impressions total)
- Terracon Acquires NORCAL, Strengthens West Coast Presence – Published Nov 23, 2015 (25.0 hits/day, 671 page impressions total)
- Moretrench President Arthur B. Corwin, P.E. to Receive Moles Member Award – Published Nov 18, 2015 (24.4 hits/day, 775 page impressions total)
- Protestors Cause Geotechnical Work to Shutdown for Sydney WestConnex Project – Published Oct 6, 2015 (23.7 hits/day, 1,781 page impressions total)
- Moretrench Remediates Dangerous Seepage Problem at Dam in Catskill Mountains – Published Sep 24, 2015 (23.3 hits/day, 2,028 page impressions total)
- USBR Selects 23 Projects Totaling $5.2 Million to Build Drought Resiliency in Nine States – Published Sep 18, 2015 (22.9 hits/day, 2,133 page impressions total)
- Tetra Tech to buy Australian Geotechnical Engineering firm Coffey – Published Nov 13, 2015 (22.7 hits/day, 840 page impressions total)
- Video of DeWind One Pass Trenching MT2000 Trencher Installing Soil Bentonite Cutoff Wall – Published Aug 4, 2015 (22.1 hits/day, 3,053 page impressions total)
- Geocomp to Provide Engineering Services for Fukushima Ice Wall – Published Jul 27, 2015 (22.1 hits/day, 3,228 page impressions total)
- The World’s Longest (and Scariest) Glass Pedestrian Bridge – Published Jul 31, 2015 (21.8 hits/day, 3,097 page impressions total)
Click through for the rest of the list!
You know how it feels good to clean off your desk and have a fresh start? I’ve collected a number of articles over the past 6 months that I didn’t get a chance to blog about. As we move rapidly towards 2016, I wanted to start with a clean slate. There are certainly some gems in here! Hopefully you have some time off over the holidays, and maybe you check this list twice with a drink in hand!
- Update on Settlement Issue at Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Tunnel Project – Source: WSDOT Alaskan Way Viaduct Page
- Thermopolis WYDOT Employee caught in huge canyon slide, he escaped by a whisker – County 10™ – Source: County10.com via USGS Landslide Events
- Fugro to divest its multi-client data library to Spectrum – Source: Fugro
- Fugro awarded contract to investigate wind farm sites – Source: Fugro
- Kleinfelder Hires Davis Diggs, PE, as Transportation Program Manager – Kleinfelder – Source: Kleinfelder
- Fugro awarded ExxonMobil Alaska LNG Project – Source: Fugro
- Third straw at plunging Lake Mead nearly complete – Source: Las Vegas Sun News via AGC SmartBrief
- GE Awards 2015 Winners | GE Awards 2015
- Crossrail Tunneling Complete – Tunnel Business Magazine
- Atlas Copco Introduces MEYCO Versa Shotcrete Rig – Tunnel Business Magazine
- Moretrench Receives Innovations in Ground Improvement Award – Source: Moretrench
Click through for the rest of this list…don’t miss some of the interesting geotechnical and geological engineering news!
I’m pleased to announce that I will be a guest speaker at the monthly webinar of URETEK Holdings, an affiliate of GeoPrac sponsor URETEK ICR. I will be presenting on Geotechnical Aspects of Polyurethane Grout, […]
SAN DIEGO, California – Kleinfelder announced that President and Chief Executive Officer Bill Siegel has resigned, effective immediately, to pursue other interests. The Board of Directors has appointed Kevin Pottmeyer as interim CEO while the Board of Director’s conducts a search for a new Chief Executive Officer.
“Bill has accomplished a great deal for our company in his time with us,” says Rodger Johnson chair of Kleinfelder’s Board of Directors. “We thank him for his commitment, service and leadership.”
Siegel adds, “I’m proud of the progress we’ve made in the last 7 years to transform our business. We are at a point in the lifecycle of the company to take our business to the next level and deliver on our 2020 objectives. I greatly value the relationships and experiences realized over my nearly 30 years with the firm and look forward to applying this experience to the next chapters in my professional career and life.”
In the interim, Kevin Pottmeyer, Senior Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer, will lead the company during the transition. Pottmeyer says, “We are financially strong and leading the engineering consulting market in many areas of our business. As we work through this transition, I will continue our focus on meeting current year goals, work with the executive team to prepare our FY17 plan and help lead the search committee for our next Kleinfelder CEO. We will begin immediately to identify CEO candidates and expects to hire a new leader as soon as practically possible.
[Editor] Click through for more about Kleinfelder [/Editor]
OLATHE, Kan. – Terracon, a leading provider of environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials engineering services, is pleased to announce the acquisition of NORCAL Geophysical Consultants, Inc. of Sonoma County, Calif. Terracon is retaining NORCAL’s 11 employees.
Founded in 1983, NORCAL offers geophysical technologies in support of geologic, groundwater, environmental, and engineering investigations. NORCAL’s capabilities, including their unique geophysical expertise, complement Terracon’s existing services and broaden the service offerings for clients across the country.
[Editor] Click through for the rest of the press release from Terracon [/Editor]
PITTSBURGH, PA – Nicholson Construction recently completed emergency repair work to an unstable pier supporting a bridge on INDOT’s Interstate 65. These repairs enabled a 37-mile section of the highway’s northbound lanes to be reopened after a four-week closure.
The highway was in the process of being rehabilitated and widened when the pier was damaged by steel piles driven into the water tight ground below it. The pier began to settle and eventually rotated ten inches.
Nicholson developed a design-build solution that used micropiles to transfer the loads to more stable soils and low-mobility grouting to fill voids and densify the upper subsurface layer.
[Editor] Read on to hear more about Nicholson’s fix of this unstable bridge pier. [/Editor]