AASHTO bridge design specifications were updated this year, with the largest change to designs for Mechanically-Stabilized Earth (MSE) walls in more than 20 years. TRB will host a webinar on Thursday, October 8, 2020 from 2:00-3:30 PM Eastern that will discuss these design updates. This webinar will identify how to use the Coherent Gravity Method for inextensible reinforcement and will discuss two new design methods: limit equilibrium and stiffness method. Presenters will provide design examples and discuss their impact.
This webinar was organized by the TRB Standing Committees on Transportation Earthworks and Geosynthetics. The cost is $95 for most participants, you can register here.
Webinar agenda and presenters
- Summary of changes and review of current design methods: Daniel Alzamora, U.S. Federal Highway Administration
- New design method: Limit equilibrium: Dov Leschchinsky, University of Delaware
- New design method: Stiffness method: Tony Allen, Washington State Department of Transportation
- Impact on design: Daniel Alzamora, U.S. Federal Highway Administration
- Question and answer session: Moderated by Jie Han, University of Kansas
The first 60 minutes of the webinar will be for presentations and the final 30 minutes will be reserved for audience questions.