- China: Three Gorges Dam’s image showing some cracks – Source: latimes.com via ASCE SmartBrief
After the serious flooding in China this summer, Chinese officials have downgraded the design flood that they expect the dam to be witheld.
In 2003, officials boasted that the dam could withstand the worst flood in 10,000 years. In 2007, the estimate was reduced to 1,000 years. In 2008, it was dropped yet again, this time to just 100 years.
- ASU’s Arrowsmith: ‘big one’ is overdue in California – Source: Arizona Geology
- URS Insurers To Pay $52.4M In Settlement Over Bridge Collapse – Source: WSJ.com via AGC SmartBrief
- Geotechnical contractor Bachy Soletanche is using a storm water shaft, with deep diaphragm walls and cased secant piling, on a project for United Utilities – Source: Plant Engineer
- Earthquake safety measures in San Diego: How San Diego is preparing for the big one – Source: San Diego News Room via ASCE SmartBrief
- Issue 4, Volume 1, International Journal of Geoengineering Case Histories – Source: IJGCH via Geoengineer.org
- Physical, mental ordeal awaits trapped miners in Chile – Source: CNN.com via Geology.com
- Tour of the proposed Belo Monte Dam Complex in the Brazilian Amazon – Source: Google Earth Blog